Gallery 3: There are 16 Photos in our collection
Venice of the East
Bangkok's many canals led early visitors to compare the capital to Venice. Small boats like these were the means of river transport.
One of the Bangkok's first post boxes. The postal service of these days may not been very fast, but it was reliable.
The Chaophraya River in 1910
Sailing ships and streamers plied the Chaophraya bringing goods from Europe and Asia to the port of Bangkok.
The building finished in 1863, during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). This river side temple is still today one of the most charming in Bangkok.
Petchburi Railway Station
One of the main stops on the railway heading South. The picture shows a train decorated with the old flag of Thailand (Siam).
New Road in 1863
In 1863, King Rama IV built Bangkok's first paved road. New Road was around 4 miles long, lined with shop houses to be rented to Siamese merchants.
Temple and Floating Market in 1890
A floating market is being held in front of a temple. In those days, temples were the most common meeting place, not only for worshipping and festivals but also for markets and fairs.
In 1884, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) introduced electricity in Bangkok and hired Danish engineers to build an electric tram system 10 years before Copenhagen had one.
Wat Po in the early 20th century was very famous for all foreigners, especially Thai massage school was also located here.
New Road in 1950
The first road to be built in the capital, here seen with typical vehicles of the 1950's. A far cry from the congestion of that day.
Horse drawn carriages
European style horse carriages were the royal mode of travel during the later stages on the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V).
The capture and training of elephants, firstly for the army and later for all kinds of heavy work, has long been a feature of the Kingdom.
Aerial View of Wat Po
Built in the 16th century, it took 12 years for Rama I to restore it, beginning in 1789. It's chief attraction is the massive Reclining Buddha, measuring 46 meters long by 15 meters high and plated in gold.
Early postal deliveries
A Thai postman in a traditional costume, delivering letters to ladies at home. In olden days, even Bangkok houses were on stilts.
Sanam Chai Road
Military parade in front of the Italian style Ministry of Defence building held in the occasion of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) return from abroad.
The Golden Mount
The building of the golden mount (Phu Kao Thong) has begun in Rama III and completed in Rama IV, this man made mount is part of Wat Sakhet. The upper platform is 78 meters high.
HOME | thaiMURAL | oldBANGKOK | Contact
© 2002 tunkshop All Rights Reserved.